Lead your students on an immersive journey through the Catholic Faith. Unlike conventional textbooks, Spirit of Truth gives you a full year of varied lesson plans, allowing you to create an active learning environment that engages your students while helping them to improve knowledge retention.
As a non-profit, we priced Spirit of Truth to accommodate shrinking budgets without sacrificing quality. You get a whole lot more for a whole lot less.
Most of all, Spirit of Truth helps young people integrate what they learn into their daily lives so they can become the saints God is calling them to be.
Spirit of Truth provides interactive, teacher-led lesson plans for every day of the school year, including vivid sacred art reflections, stories of the saints, games, role-plays, and critical thinking questions, to help you capture and keep your students' attention.
Spirit of Truth covers the breadth of the entire Catechism in a rich and age-appropriate way and is designed to connect with students of diverse backgrounds and differing familiarity with the Catholic Faith.
While it's important for your students to understand the Faith, Spirit of Truth is designed to help them internalize the Faith and apply it to their own lives, providing ample opportunity for them to reflect on how everything they are learning applies to their own lived experience.
A master teacher will be assigned to you as long as you have the curriculum. They will introduce Spirit of Truth to your staff via live webinar and be available throughout the year as a resource for questions and ideas. Supplemental online resources will keep your content fresh and relevant to your students, such as weekly Sunday Gospel lessons, Liturgical calendar content, lessons on current events, and much more.
Spirit of Truth lessons are strong, interesting, and engaging. They offer multiple ways of presenting the information, so my students with different learning styles are able to develop an understanding the material.North Carolina Teacher
As a middle school religion teacher, I have found it extremely difficult to find appropriate resources that engage students. Spirit of Truth is grade-level appropriate, addresses "real world" current issues, and promotes higher-level thinking.New York Teacher
The lesson plans are easy to follow and give just enough instruction to be helpful. As a veteran teacher, I appreciate the lesson plan organization without having my "hands tied" nor my "hands held" throughout the lesson.Idaho Teacher
The lessons in Spirit of Truth are extremely well done. My 5th grade students were excited about how interactive everything was, and many said they were coming to know Jesus better.New York Teacher
Spirit of Truth is an innovative and teacher friendly curriculum that fully equips any K-8 teacher with the tools and content they need to form their students as disciples of Jesus and knowledgeable Catholics. The resource is beautifully presented, deeply faithful, and developed by some of the best teachers in the country. Spirit of Truth engages students with a variety of creative pedagogies that help young people live their faith and grow in their relationship with God and the Church.Dr. Michel Therrien,Diocese of Pittsburgh
Students are introduced to the loving goodness of the Blessed Trinity, they meet the members of the Holy Family, and they learn who the saints are and what they teach us.
- They begin to explore why virtue is good and sin is bad, and the importance of developing good habits.
- They learn that they can speak to God in prayer.
Students begin to develop an awareness of God as our Father in Heaven, the creator of Heaven and earth, who is all good, who created them in His image and likeness, and who loves them unconditionally.
- Basic parts of the Mass are introduced.
- The reality of sin is further explored in connection with the Sacrament of Confession.
- Continuing to learn from the lives of saints, they also explore the basics of prayer as a conversation with God.
This year focuses on how much children are loved by Jesus Christ, and how His death and Resurrection has opened the way to Heaven.
- Students continue to learn about the parts of the Mass, the lives and lessons of the saints, and more ways to pray.
- This year includes a special focus on the Sacraments of Confession and Eucharist.
Students learn what the Catholic Church is, who the Holy Spirit is and how He guides the Church, and what it means that Jesus continues His mission through the life of the Church.
- Along with the basics of the Trinity and all seven Sacraments, they build on what they have learned about prayer, and explore what it means to live as children of God.
- This year also focuses on Jesus’s Parables of the Kingdom, and Mary as the Mother of the Church.
- Includes a supplement on Confirmation for restored order dioceses.
Most of this year focuses on the moral life.
- Students explore more deeply what it means to be created in the image and likeness of God, and how they should respond to God’s grace in order to spend eternity with Him in Heaven.
- Students explore conscience formation, the Ten Commandments, the Beatitudes, the Golden Rule, and Jesus’s Great Commandment to love God with all our heart and soul, and to love our neighbor as ourselves.
- The reality of sin and the necessity of virtue are emphasized.
This year provides an in-depth exploration of God’s grace in the Sacraments.
- Focus given to what Sacraments are and why Jesus instituted them, along with the form, matter, history, celebration, and effects of each Sacrament.
- Students explore the meaning of God being the source of life, learn more about Holy Mass and Holy Days of Obligation.
- Students read and discuss longer biographies of the saints, especially young saints.
Students spend this year immersed in God’s Word in Sacred Scripture, and explore how the Bible, written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, records God’s plan of salvation.
- Includes basics on how to use the Bible and Magisterial authority.
- How and why we should pray with Scripture.
- How the Bible is different from other books.
- The four senses of Scripture.
Middle-school students explore in-depth Jesus and the Gospel message, with an emphasis on unifying themes in Scripture and an in-depth examination of the four Gospels.
- Personal growth, with an emphasis on the origin, dignity, and destiny of the human person.
- The seven Sacraments, with an exploration of each Sacrament.
- Prayer, with an emphasis on its elements, qualities, and challenges, ways of praying, and Mary and the saints as models of prayer.
Middle-school students will build on their understanding of personal growth, with an emphasis on our vocation to love and our responsibilities to God and each other.
- Morality, with an emphasis on conscience formation through God’s gift of an objective moral standard and prayer.
- Church History, with an emphasis on what we can learn from history about our identity as Catholics, and how the saints have shaped the liturgy, hierarchy, and doctrine of the Church.
- The Citizen and Government, including the natural rights of all persons and the purpose of government.
- God's Plan for Marriage and the Family, with an emphasis on our identity as male and female, purposes and abuses of sexuality, and resisting temptation in order to avoid sin and grow in virtue.
A collection of all five Sketchpad videos availbale now on one DVD, using these videos you’ll explore Scripture, the Catechism, and proven strategies to engage even the most skeptical students.
All Sophia Institute for Teachers materials are written by veteran Catholic school teachers with advanced degrees. They are then tested in classrooms as well as reviewed by leading academics before publication.
In grades K-5, as long as you have a teacher’s guide for your use and student workbooks for each student, you are ready to go. We recommend each student have his or her own copy of the Bible to use in grades 6, 7 and 8.
Additional online supplementary materials can be found here.
Once you adopt the Spirit of Truth religion textbook for your school, you will be assigned a Sophia Institute master teacher for the life of the program who will provide you and your faculty with a free, live training webinar, as well as be available via email to answer questions or provide other advice. Additional webinars that help provide background knowledge on the Faith and teaching strategies may be purchased.
We also provide your teachers with fresh classroom materials each month. Free lesson plans on the Sunday Gospels are provided for each week, and lesson plans that help students apply Catholic principles to current events are provided each month. Teachers also have access to our curriculum exchange, and all of the sacred art included in our books are also available in our digital art library.
You may view sample units on this page. Please email us to request review copies.
We encourage you to schedule a live tour to see how Spirit of Truth can help your classroom come alive.
The beauty of Spirit of Truth is its lesson plan format. Its comprehensive but modular design ensures that it can be used successfully by experienced and knowledgeable teachers as well as by teachers with little to no theology background.
Because all the readings, handouts, activities, and assessments are ready to go, your students will receive a complete understanding of the Faith even if their teacher is learning along with them.
Teachers frequently report how well Spirit of Truth has increased their personal understanding of the faith and bolstered their own spiritual life.
To help you manage the expense of textbooks, we offer you 40% off if you order 10 copies or more of the student workbook.
Schools and parishes considering Spirit of Truth may request two free sample sets of a printed teacher's guide and student workbook. Additionally, you will be given access to an online folder where you can review all grades in PDF form. If you would like additional hard copy samples, these may be purchased at regular price, and may be returned within 90 days for a full refund if you decide against adoption. Email us here to request sample sets.