God commands each of us to love our neighbor, and to love Him above all else. Jesus tells us in the Gospels that when we welcome strangers, we are welcoming Him. How does this teaching apply to national governments, whose purpose is to protect the common good?
In this lesson your students will:
- Read and analyze the Executive Order “Protecting the Nation from Foreign Terrorist Entry into the United States.”
- Understand current vetting procedures for those requesting refugee status.
- Reflect on Scripture verses about our responsibility to shelter the oppressed and the homeless.
- Analyze the roles of individuals and governments in carrying out Christ’s teaching.
- Assess how important it is for citizens and elected officials to exercise the virtue of prudence.